Long Form Press ReleaseVancouver, British Columbia: Lianna Armstrong of Evolve Designs in Vancouver has been named the winner of DXV’s 2015 Design Competition, a Canada-wide competition judged by a panel of interior design industry experts including 2014 DXV Design Competition Winner Genevieve Ghaleb, Jean Jacques L’Henaff, Vice President of Design DXV, as well as Designers Regina Sturrock, Meredith Heron and Corey Klassen.
Entrants were required to select a classic story as a theme showcasing at least two items from DXV’s range of luxury products. Drawings, renderings, mood boards, and concept boards were used to communicate the concepts for judging. A recreation of the winning design will be built and featured at the Interior Design Show in Toronto in January 2016 and again at IDS West in Vancouver in September 2016.
Armstrong’s design, which brings to life C.S. Lewis’s classic tale The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was chosen as the Grand Prize winner amongst entries from across the country.
From the concept statement: “Follow us to Narnia – the wondrous world created by C.S. Lewis that inspired this fantastical design. A regal freestanding tub is the centrepiece of the design, recalling the altar on which the life of one of the story’s central characters both ended and started anew. We interpreted other features of the story using flocked trees for the mysterious woods, a pendant light for the iconic lamp post, a millwork passageway for the wardrobe, and a gleaming white frieze for the mystical Aslan.”
”This design speaks to me right off the top. I think that it’s a wonderful story with universal appeal and balances the masculine with the feminine – a great example of a modern classic bathroom” ~ Meredith Heron
“Chronicles of Narnia – wow! A compelling design that immediately raised my eyebrows with its unique and subtle storytelling,” said Genevieve Ghaleb, Designer and Winner of the 2014 Competition.
“The design and thought process are spot on and I LOVE the foreground and background contrast. That it is so much like the story without it being too obvious is great execution of design.”
Lianna Armstrong has been called “a gifted designer, a fearless client advocate and tireless in her pursuit of excellence.” Her company, Evolve Designs, is a full service interior design firm specializing in residential renovation projects. Lianna is thrilled to have won this design competition!
Examples of previous DXV Designs:
Check us out on Social Media!
ABOUT THE CONTEST:
Welcome to the DXV Design Competition, a unique opportunity for professional designers to showcase their interpretation of a literary classic. Luxury bath and kitchen brand DXV’s second annual DXV Design Competition is a unique opportunity, exclusively for professional designers, to showcase their talent and creativity – with a twist.
Both the art of storytelling and interior design are results of wild imagination. Inspired by literary classics, the DXV Design Competition challenged designers to envision and re-create their own interpretation of any classic tale, marrying luxe DXV fixtures with their personal style.
“All great works of literature stem from exceptional imagination and creativity. With the returning Design Competition, DXV hopes to discover new talent who show promise in the design realm,” said Yves Dalcourt, GM, LIXIL Water Technology. “The competition is an opportunity for up-and-coming designers to create their vision of a classic story while combining DXV fixtures to showcase their personal style.”
DXV has transformed a selection of classic stories through the art of design, from the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, bringing the bathroom to life with contrasting design styles working seamlessly in one space, to A Midsummer Night’s Dream, transitioning a simple bathroom into a dreamlike forest.
Last year’s winner, Genevieve Ghaleb, created an impressive, whimsical design influenced by Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”.
The Grand Prize includes:
- A replica of the winning design to be built and showcased in the American Standard DXV booth at the Interior Design Show in Toronto, Ontario with the potential for the design to be showcased at additional events throughout the year
- The display will include a plaque, recognizing the winning designer’s name and company
- Professional photography of the display will be provided to the winning designer
- $5,000 worth of DXV product of the winner’s choice, including delivery
- Design credit in all of DXV’s social media channels (Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest)
CONTEST CLOSES DECEMBER 8, 2015
- COMPETITION PERIOD: The DXV Design Competition (“Competition”) is brought to you by the DXV Brand by American Standard Canada, the Competition sponsor (“Sponsor”). Competition Start Date: 12:00 am Eastern Time (ET), October 1, 2015. Competition Close Date: 11:59 pm ET, December 8, 2015.
- TO ENTER: To enter, visit www.DXVDesignCompetition.comduring the Competition Period. Entrants are required to design a display (based on the requirements outlined in Section 4 “Submission Requirements”). Then, complete the online Competition registration form provided (including the submission of the designer’s personal headshot, company’s website package, and social media handles as confirmation that the entrant is a professional designer), confirm that you have read and agree to be bound by the Official Competition Rules and Regulations and submit your entry online.
ENTRY LIMIT: Limit of one (1) online Competition entry per person per week during the Competition Period. Only one (1) unique email address may be used by any one (1) person to participate in the Competition.
- ELIGIBILITY: To enter and be eligible to win, a person must be a working professional currently designing interiors, kitchens, and/or bathrooms and must be a legal resident of Canada over the age of majority in the province or territory where they reside. You are not eligible if you are an employee of the Sponsor or their respective advertising or promotional agencies, the prize suppliers, or a member of the family or household of any of the above persons. Potential winners MAY be required to furnish proof of identification.
- SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTRY (AND EACH INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT THEREOF) COMPLIES WITH ALL CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE RULES. THE RELEASEES (DEFINED BELOW) WILL BEAR NO LEGAL LIABILITY REGARDING THE USE OF YOUR ENTRY (OR ANY COMPONENT THEREOF) AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU IN THE EVENT IT IS SUBSEQUENTLY DISCOVERED THAT YOU HAVE DEPARTED FROM OR NOT FULLY COMPLIED WITH ANY OF THESE RULES.
- The design must follow the ‘classic story’ theme of the current DXV ad campaign, pulling inspiration from any classic novel (DXV ads available on microsite for reference)
- Designer may choose ANY classic story – competition is not confined to the 7 examples from the ads (Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Old Man and the Sea, Great Expectations, The Awakening, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)
- The design must include minimum two (2) DXV products. Designer may select any product(s) from any of the DXV collections. (Visit http://www.dxv.com/products to view all products)
- Designer may include any additional material of their choosing for the design
- Must fit within the specs provided approximately (78.5” x 55” x 42.25”) (Spec Sheet available on microsite for reference). Please note these specs are subject to change.
- Size of final, built display is subject to modification
- Must include a Concept Statement under 500 words, within the ‘Concept Statement’ field, that tells the story behind the design and how it relates to the ‘classic story’ theme
- Entries must be in the form of a scaled drawing or digitally created image of the design space, and should include concept boards, visual references and images
- All uploaded files must be in JPEG or PDF form
- Each entry must be your own original and unique description and design, in which you have all rights, title and interest. You cannot submit the same description or design more than one time in this Competition.
- The design cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means or contain original design layouts not created by the entrant
- By entering the Competition you represent and warrant that, to the extent applicable, you are participating with the knowledge and consent of your employer and that your participation in this Competition in no way violates any policies of your place of employment.
CONTENT RESTRICTIONS: Each entrant warrants and represents that an entry (inclusive of both the design and description) he/she submits:
- has been created by him/her:
- does not violate any law;
- does not contain any reference to or likeness of any identifiable third parties unless consent has been obtained from each such individual;
- will not give rise to any claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or infringe on any rights and/or interests of any third party, or give rise to any claims whatsoever; and
- is not defamatory, trade libelous, pornographic or obscene, and further that it will not contain, depict, include, or involve, without limitation, any of the following: commercial messages, comparisons or solicitations for products or services other than products of Sponsor; any identifiable third party, trade-marks, brands and/or logos, other than those of Sponsor; conduct or other activities in violation of these Rules; and/or any other content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion.
By participating in the Competition, each entrant agrees to have his/her Entry posted online without notice or compensation, with the inclusion of the name of the entrant as accreditation of their work.
By entering the Competition and submitting an Entry, each entrant: (i) grants to the Sponsor, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use his/her Entry, in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Competition or for any other reason worldwide; (ii) waives all moral rights in and to his/her Entry in favour of the Sponsor; and (iii) agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, and its agents, employees, representatives, directors, officers, and their successors, and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”) from and against any and all claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trade-mark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action that relate in any way to the Entry. For greater certainty, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion and at any time during the Competition, to modify, edit or remove any entry, or to request an entrant to modify or edit his/her entry, if a complaint is received with respect to the entry, or for any other reason.